NOTE: This position has been filled.
We are hiring so would love to hear from you if you would like to join the team to help make New Zealand predator free. Job description below.
Lead Developer and Project Manager
The Cacophony Project is an open source IT project to use the latest information technologies to create tools to enable us to get rid of rats, stoats and possums from New Zealand so we can get the Cacophony of bird song back. This is a full time role based in Christchurch or Akaroa.
We are at the stage where we are having significant technical contributions to the open source project so communication and coordination skills are just as important as a firm grasp of the technical aspects of the project. We are looking for a project/technical lead to help shape the overall project effort and ensure we get the most out of our enthusiastic team. You will be the glue that holds the project together by organising teams, prioritising sub-projects and user stories, removing roadblocks (technical and organisational) and working with external experts and organisations to form strong partnerships.
To get a feel for the project status and approach please read the blog post on our website: https://cacophony.org.nz/blog
Also check out this TEDx talk sumarising the project
List of skills you will need
- Communications - great at working with people and getting the most out of a group with different skill sets
- Planning - ability to prioritise and plan projects
- Technical ability to program in a significant number of the technologies below
- You do not need to know anything about rats, stoats possums or birds....we will get you up to speed on that
- Experience working with open source ideally working with including other peoples code in an open source project
- At least 6 year experience with half leading technical projects
- Happy to take a rapid prototyping approach to development
Technology stack used - subject to change as things progress
For our Cacophonometers, we are using the following technology stack:
- Android (4.0 or better) OS
- Android SDK and developer tools
- Raspberry Pi
For server components, including our sound, video file aggregation and distribution :
- Linux Server (virtual instances) - Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
The New Zealand government has set the goal of being predator free by 2050 which has been called the world's most ambitious conservation project. We believe we can do it much sooner than this with Moores law on our side. This will be a challenging but very rewarding opportunity.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
Please feel free to forward to anyone you think may be interested.
Apply for the job via trademe listing here